Week Two – OER

This week’s class we learnt a lot about Open Educational Resources (OER) and the fair dealing in relation to copyright-protected content.  I must say, I knew little to none about the differences between free media and open, yet licensed work you must give credit to.  We were shown various resources to educate ourselves further on fair dealing, the public domain, Creative Commons, how to find OER, as well as finding reusable multimedia.  This class was extremely beneficial to me as a student, and moving forward, as a future educator.

An example of an openly licensed photo that does not require credit. kelly-sikkema-RYABMCLP7aM-unsplash.jpg
Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

In my learning pod, we were directed at focusing on reviewing a list of website resources that provided free multimedia where attribution is not required.  These sites allow anyone to download photos or videos, and use them in projects or to share without having to credit the source.  I have uploaded an example of a openly licensed photo above.  These sites, such as unsplash.com or www.pexels.com, are extremely valuable resources for both students and teachers alike.  To download and use the content is exceptionally convenient and streamline.  These resources can be used to incorporate additional embellishments for visual aesthetic on any blog or presentation!

As a future educator, these resources and knowledge will be beneficial for presentations, lesson plans, and, potentially, classroom décor.  While there is still much to learn and be aware of when using online content, I am confident that I now have the materials and guidance to properly respect copyright restrictions.

Thanks for checking in,

xoxo missrose