The Power of Lemons

Hello again!

I could not be more excited for my very first blog post regarding my interest in Health and Beauty and how the two of them feed off one another.  I decided to focus on something I do every single morning myself – that is, drink a glass of lemon water before I start my day.  You might ask why?  Or for some, you may think drinking a glass of acidic-water first thing in the morning sounds terrible.

First off, here are some fun facts about lemons:

• A medium lemon contains about 31 mg of vitamin C – that’s roughly 50% of an adults daily value according to Canadian Guidelines.
  • Lemon trees produce year-round so they are very accessible at your local grocery store.
  • Ancient Romans used lemons as a symbol of status.  Only the wealthy used them as they were rare and expensive at the time.
  • Lemons with a smooth exterior, generally, mean they have a thinner skin – these ones are better for juicing.  Whereas, lemons with a rough/bumpy exterior are thick-skinned so baker’s prefer them for zest.

As mentioned above, lemons are FULL of vitamin C, but they also contain B-complex vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and fiber.  Plus, they are an excellent source of antioxidants. Below I have listed 10 reasons why you should kick-start your day with a glass of warm lemon water 15 or more minutes before your first meal:

1. HYDRATION!  By jump-starting your day with a glass of lemon water, even just plain water, it hydrates your body and cells right from the get-go.  It is recommended to drink warm water as it is more efficient at hydrating – but for me, I prefer room temperature.  Also, a post-workout glass of lemon water is a great way to rehydrate your body after a vigorous session at the gym or after a run.
  2. Increases energy.  Lemon water is known to have similar effects as caffeine, it awakens and stimulates bodily functions.  It is a much healthier alternative to drinks that contain high levels of caffeine and, following the intake, there is no “caffeine crash.”
  3. Boosts immune function.  With stress, our bodies naturally decrease in vitamin C.  Therefore, a quick dose of nearly half our daily intake of vitamin C amplifies the production of white blood cells.  These cells are necessary for fighting off disease and foreign invaders in our body.
  4. Supports digestive system by stimulating the digestive process.  Lemon water also aids in relieving indigestion, heartburn, and reduces bloating.
  5. Liver detox.  Lemon water aids in flushing toxins, such as alcohol, drugs, and other chemicals that have settled into our liver.
  6. Aids nervous system by increasing levels of potassium that correlate to lowering blood pressure.  When our bodies are low in potassium, we have an increased risk of anxiety, forgetfulness, and depression.
  7. Increases radiance by reducing blemishes and even wrinkles (hydration baby!)
  8. Reduces inflammation.  With regular consumption, lemon water aids in removing uric acid from our joints – this is the main cause of arthritis.
  9. Alkalizing.  A process that increases our body’s pH level.  Once metabolized, lemon juice transitions from it’s natural pH level of 2, to above a neutral level of 7.
  10. Aids in weight loss by increasing sensations of “fullness” and, slightly, boosts overall metabolism.

With all that said, these benefits are most effective with regular consumption.  I also recognize that there are many myths about lemon water and their benefits, as there is little scientific proof.  Personally, I promote other’s to do what feels right for them and do what makes YOU feel good!  Maybe it’s the placebo effect, but I do feel my body benefits from a quick dose of hydration upon waking.

I hope you enjoyed this post.

Until next time,

xoxo missrose

Reference List

Health Canada. (2019, January 22). Vitamin C. Government of Canada. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/nutrients/vitamin-c.html

Heikenfeld, R. (2018). Lemon Water Benefits. Countryside & Small Stock Journal102(3), 30–33.